Garlic Prawns with Warm Cucumber and Ginger Salad
Red pepper flakes add a hint of heat to this light and zesty salad. Pair with California Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir.
2 cups (2 ounces/60g) salad greens
2 teaspoons (10ml) sesame oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons (30ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
8 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound (450g) medium prawns, shelled and deveined
½ teaspoon (2.5ml) red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons (30g) minced fresh ginger
2 cucumbers (each about 8 inches/20 cm), peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced into ¼-inch-thick (.5cm) half-rounds
2 tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce
2 limes, each cut into 4 wedges
1. Put the salad greens in a large bowl and drizzle with the sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to mix. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the prawns and red pepper flakes; cook and stir for about 3 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through. Season with salt.
3. Scrape the shrimp and garlic into a bowl and set aside.
4. Using the same skillet, heat the 1 remaining tablespoon (15ml) of olive oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the ginger; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the cucumber and soy sauce and cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each with a quarter of the cucumbers, followed by a quarter of the shrimp. Squeeze the juice of one lime wedge over each salad and garnish with a second lime wedge.