Grilled Halibut with Pickled Red Onion and Mango
This light, fresh dish is loaded with sweet, tart, and spicy flavors. Pair with California Chardonnay or Syrah.
1 cup (250ml) white wine vinegar
1/3 cup (65g) sugar
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 teaspoon (5ml)salt
1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons (45ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (30ml) minced cilantro leaves, divided
1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 mangos, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-size cubes
4 (6-ounce/170g) halibut fillets, each 1½ inches (3.75cm) thick, skin on
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring the vinegar, sugar, water, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in the onion and jalapeño, and let cool.
2. Pour into a bowl or glass jar. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
3. Mix the olive oil, 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the cilantro, and garlic in a small bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the mango with the 1 remaining tablespoon (15ml) of cilantro and 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the liquid from the onions and jalapeno.
5. Preheat the grill to medium high.
6. Brush both sides of each fillet with the olive oil mixture.
7. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
8. Place the fillets on the grill, skin-side down. Cook for 6 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes longer, or until the fish is cooked through.
9. To serve, place a fillet on each of 4 plates. Spoon the mango and pickles next to each fillet.