- April 15, 2015Wine Institute Launches Sustainable Winegrowing Certificate Course
- April 13, 2015Winners Announced for First Annual California Green Medal: Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards
- April 01, 2015Raise a Glass to “Green” for California Wines Down to Earth Month
- February 26, 2015California Wines Fuel $1.49 Billion in U.S. Wine Exports in 2014
- January 22, 2015California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA) Receives Governor's Top Environmental Award
- January 07, 2015Great Winter Wine Escapes in California Wine Country
- December 02, 2014"Down to Earth" California Wine Country Recipes for the Holidays
- October 30, 2014Ten Great Places to Hike, Bike and Sip in California
- October 27, 20142014 California Winegrape Harvest: Earliest and Third in a String of Great Vintages this Decade
- September 16, 2014California Wines Website Available in Seven Languages for 10 Markets
- August 22, 2014New Discover California Wines Presentation Available
- August 19, 2014Cheers to the 10th Annual California Wine Month: September 2014
- May 20, 2014Winery Concerts in California this Summer:
- May 07, 2014Wine Institute Receives Drinks Business 2014 Green Award
- April 29, 2014Four Great California Wine Country Recipes for Mother’s Day
- April 24, 2014California Wine Sales Grow 3% by Volume and 5% by Value in the U.S. in 2013
- April 02, 2014Wine Institute Publishes Down to Earth, a New Book on Sustainable Winegrowing
- March 25, 2014California Wines Get "Down to Earth" this April
- February 26, 2014California Wine Exports Reach All-Time High in 2013
- February 12, 2014California Wine and the Oscars
- January 11, 2014Sommeliers Recommend Perfect Wine Pairings for California Restaurant Month
- November 20, 2013Celebrate the Holidays in California Wine Country
- November 18, 20132013 California Winegrape Harvest Report
- November 11, 2013Five Great California Wine and Snow Country Road Trips: Wine Tasting and Winter Sports Make the Perfect Pairing
- August 27, 2013California Wine Month: A Great Reason to Visit Wine Country This September
- August 09, 2013California’s Wine, Waves and Surfing Winemakers: Pacific Ocean’s Allure Inspires Winemakers and Wine Lovers
- June 06, 20139TH ANNUAL CALIFORNIA WINE MONTH TAKES PLACE SEPT. 1-30, 2013
- June 06, 2013California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA) Receives Drinks Business 2013 Green Award
- May 06, 2013Three Great Ways to Celebrate Moms on Mother’s Day and Beyond in California Wine Country
- April 11, 20132012 Wine Sales in U.S. Reach New Record: Record California Winegrape Crop to Meet Surging Demand
May 6, 2013
Looking for last-minute ideas to celebrate your mom this weekend or the next time you get together? California’s wine regions have you covered with three great ways to celebrate that fit her unique style. For a complete list of Mother’s Day celebrations in California’s wineries and wine regions check out the events calendar at www.discovercaliforniawines.com or click here.
For Bold Moms: Adventures in California Wine Country
If your mom has a thirst for adventure, there are some fun ways to share memorable moments that she’ll never forget, from horseback rides to zip-lining through vineyar
Zip-Lining with Mom Over Vineyards at Ancient Peaks Winery in Paso Robles Wine Region (Central Coast): Soar over vineyards, valleys and oak trees on four epic zip-lines with Margarita Adventure Tours, then head over to the Ancient Peaks tasting room to discuss your adventures over artisan wines from the vines you both flew over ($99 per person).
Ride and Taste Package with Madonna Inn, San Luis Obispo, Edna Valley Region (Central Coast): Mosey up Madonna Mountain on a one-hour guided horseback ride then unwind with a premium wine and fine cheese tasting in our Classic Gourmet & Wine Shop, featuring local wines from great wineries such as Hahn Estates, Opolo Vineyards, Tobin James Cellars, Adelaida Cellars, Ancient Peaks Winery, Baileyana and Robert Hall Winery ($95 per person).
Horseback Ride and Music at Cooper-Garrod Estate Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountain Wine Region (Central Coast): Start your morning at Garrod Farms where you can take a guided horse ride through Cooper-Garrod’s certified sustainable vineyards ($45 per hour). Order a delicious lunch from Picnic Guild (by May 8 for delivery to the winery on Mother’s Day) to enjoy in front of the historic Fruit House tasting room with wines ($5 tasting). That afternoon, the winery is hosting Music at the Vineyards, featuring flamenco guitarist Tans Gauntlett under the trees with wines for purchase by the bottle or glass
Take your mom on a musical adventure to BottleRock Napa Valley Music Festival (May 9-12), where she can pair her favorite varietals with rock bands at various wineries such as Delectus, Domaine Chandon, Ceja Vineyards, Schug Carneros Estate, V. Sattui Winery, Rombauer Vineyards, Silver Oak, Miner Family Winery, Grgich Hills Estate and Boyd Family Vineyards.
For Foodie Moms: Culinary Activities and More in California Wine Country
If your mom’s idea of adventure is more about diving into all things wine and food, then there’s no better place than California, which produces 90 percent of American wine and boasts nine of the top 10 agricultural counties in the U.S. Here is the best place to immerse yourselves in the locavore — and locapour — experience, sampling wines, foods and the artisans behind them in our diverse regions.
Wine & Cheese Pairing at Robert Mondavi Winery in Napa Valley (North Coast): Few pairings are more decadent than wine and cheese, and your mom will love exploring this delicious kinship a little deeper as Robert Mondavi experts show her how to pair wines with artisanal cheeses from California. The one-hour program includes a tour of the beautiful estate ($45 per person).
Wine Tasting and Flowers for Mom at Taste Route 116 in Sonoma County (North Coast): Take mom on a complimentary tasting tour of Route 116 wineries, such as Balletto Vineyards and Winery, and pick up a different flower at each stop to create a beautiful spring Mother’s Day bouquet. Moms get complimentary tastings, while regular tasting fees apply to other guests. Or visit Dutton-Goldfield Winery for a complimentary “Mother’s Flight” all weekend for mom, paired with local music.
Pair Art, Food and Wine at Kenwood Vineyards in Sonoma County (North Coast): If your mom loves art and wine, head over to the Art, Food and Wine Experience at Kenwood Vineyards now through May 26, where you’ll enjoy gourmet appetizers expertly paired with wines while viewing the renowned Artist Series Collection (Reservations Required – $30 per person).
Wine and Cheese Pairing Experience at Clos LaChance Winery in San Martin (Central Coast): A special tasting experience for moms centered around the amazing wines and cheeses of California. Five artisan cheeses are paired with our Reserve and Designate wines. Guests will learn about each dairy and cheese-maker as well—and leave with thorough knowledge of cheese and wine pairing techniques.
Cottages and Kitchen Tour of Hearst Castle and Taste Hearst Ranch Wines in Paso Robles Wine Country (Central Coast): Take mom on a culinary tour of America’s most famous castle, which includes a tour of its kitchens and extensive wine cellar. Then treat her to some Hearst Ranch Winery wines in the Visitor Center, or pop over to their tasting room at Sebastian Brothers’ General Store in downtown.
Meet the Winemakers on the Madera Wine Trail (Inland Valleys): Enjoy an intimate wine tasting experience at 12 wineries on Mother’s Day weekend, where you can meet with the winemakers on the tour, enjoy delicious food, live music and local art.
Click here for more on the many brunches and tastings going on throughout the state.
For Relaxation-loving Moms: Pampering in California Wine Country
If you want to take your Mother’s Day gift beyond flowers and chocolates, why not treat her to a day of pampering? Whether it’s sipping wine during a spa day at a California wine country resort or at a great winery concert featuring her favorite music, your mother and her senses will appreciate the special treatment.
Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch and Spa Package at South Coast Winery in Temecula (Southern California): Pamper your mother’s palate in grand style with a gourmet champagne brunch in the Vineyard Rose Restaurant. Kick it up a notch by treating her to a Mother’s Day Spa Package at the resort’s Grapeseed Spa now through May 30, featuring three body treatments and facial ($185 per person).
Mother’s Day Picnic and Free Concert at Heritage Oak in Acampo near Lodi (Inland Valley): Treat Mom to live music, a picnic, and a glass of wine at Heritage Oak Winery. At 1 pm, enjoy music by Jackie Floyd and Swing Shift, performing favorite songs from the ‘60′s and 70′s.
Mother’s Day Celebration at Lava Cap Winery in Placerville (Sierra Foothills): Enjoy wine, food and complimentary music by Julie and the Jukes from 12 noon to 3 pm. Grab a spot on the deck or in the garden and enjoy! Gourmet deli items and picnic baskets available for purchase.
Relax on a Wine Train in Paso Robles (Central Coast) or Napa Valley (North Coast): Leave the car behind and hop on the Central Coast Railroad Festival Wine Rail Excursions (offered the second Sunday of every month including Mother’s Day), which includes a complimentary wine tasting and a ride on Amtrak’s Coast Starlight between Paso Robles and SLO, plus a rose for mom. The train stops at one or two wineries such as Pomar Junction or Eberle Winery ($59 per person). Or check out the Napa Valley Wine Train, which includes a gourmet lunch paired with wines and stops at wineries such as Raymond Vineyards, Grgich Hills, Domaine Chandon (Tickets: $139–$159 per person).
Beyond Mother’s Day
Other great wine-centric events in May you can treat mom to include the Paso Robles Wine Festival (May 17-19), Taste Alexander Valley in Sonoma County (May 18-19), Anderson Valley Pinot Noir Festival in Mendocino (May 18) and ZinFest: Wine, Food & Fun at Lodi Lake in Lodi (May 19). For more wonderful events and activities at wineries and wine regions for Mother’s Day and beyond go to www.discovercaliforniawines.com.
About Wine Institute
Wine Institute is the association of 1,000 California wineries and wine-related businesses dedicated to enhancing the environment for the responsible production, consumption and enjoyment of wine. California is the fourth largest wine producer in the world, making 90 percent of all U.S. wine. Each year, nearly 21 million tourists visit wine regions throughout the state to explore and enjoy the wines, the cuisine and cultural offerings associated with California’s signature industry. September, during California Wine Month, is a great time to visit to experience the annual winegrape harvest first hand. Go to: www.discovercaliforniawines.com for more information.
# # #